MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
Any person who subscribes to the objectives of the club shall be eligible for membership in The Greenville Natural
History Association, Incorporated. The Board reserves the right to terminate any person’s membership and also to
reinstate membership on restoration of eligibility.
Dues for membership shall be as set by the Board with approval of a majority of the club membership present at the
annual general meeting (AGM) or at any special meeting. Annual dues shall become payable on the first day of January
of each year. Non-payment of dues shall result in loss of membership.
OFFICERS AND BOARD
Shall consist of 13 elected Directors. From these Directors the Board will elect the President, Vice-president, Secretary,
and Treasurer (the Officers of the Association). The business, interests, and transactions of the club shall be managed and
controlled by the Board. Any vacancy occurring on the Board between elections shall be filled by action of the Board
until the next election of Directors.
Heads of standing committees and the immediate past President shall be ex-officio (non-voting) members of the Board.
1. Shall be the chief executive of the club.
2. Shall preside at all meetings of the Board and of the membership.
3. Has authority to appoint all special committees and standing committees. (Examples of standing
committees include, but are not limited to e-mail coordination, hike schedule management,
membership, website management.)
4. Shall be an ex-officio member of all special committees except the Nominating Committee.
5. Shall have general supervision of the club, subject to approval by the Board, and see that all
resolutions of the Board are carried into effect.
6. Is authorized to represent the GNHA at meetings of other related organizations and commissions,
and may delegate substitutes if deemed appropriate.
7. Shall pass on to successor any and all files and records pertaining to the position as soon as possible
after leaving office.
1. Shall preside and temporarily assume the President’s functions in the absence of the President.
2. Shall perform such other duties and have such other powers as shall be prescribed by the Board.
1. Shall record the minutes of all meetings of the Board, and of general meetings of the GNHA in which a matter for
record is conducted.
2. Shall provide copies of all minutes to members of the Board within thirty days following the
3. Shall record members appointed to all committees of the GNHA and include in minutes.
4. Shall aid the President in the development of meeting agendas by maintaining records of incomplete
5. Shall pass on to successor any and all files and records pertaining to the position as soon as possible
after leaving office.
1. Shall have the custody of all funds of the club and when necessary and proper shall endorse on
behalf of the club all checks, notes or other evidence of payment of money payable to the club and
shall deposit the funds arising there from, together with any other funds received.
2. Shall open and maintain any bank account or savings account in the name of the club as may be
directed by the Board, and shall be responsible for making all payments on behalf of the GNHA.
3. Shall keep regular books of accounting containing a complete and true statement of cash accounts
and all other transactions involving the GNHA funds.
4. Shall account to the Board at its scheduled meetings or at any other time upon the request of the
Board, and to the membership at the AGM.
5. Shall propose the annual budget which, on approval by the Board, shall be adopted for the next
financial year, which runs from January 1st through Dec 31st. Any expenditure not covered by the
budget requires prior approval by a majority of the Board members.
6. Shall pass on to successor any and all files and records pertaining to the position as soon as possible
after leaving office.
Shall meet periodically as may be agreed upon by the Board and at such other times as it shall be called to meet by the
President or three (3) of its members by giving not less than fifteen (15) days notice to each board member either
personally or by mail. A majority of Board Members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any
meeting. The Board shall have, in addition to the authority expressly conferred upon it by the by-laws, the authority to do
all things or acts necessary for the efficient administration of this club.
ELECTION AND MEETINGS
The AGM shall be held for the election of directors during the month of March at such time and place as shall be
designated in a notice to be sent by the Secretary to each voting member at least fifteen (15) and no more than thirty (30)
days before the meeting. Special Meetings of the club may be called by the President or by the Board at any time after
giving the said fifteen (15) to thirty (30) days notice.
The President shall appoint a Nominating Committee to nominate candidates for positions of Director. The report of said
Nominating Committee shall not preclude club members from making individual nominations for Directors, either as
write-in candidates prior to the AGM, or by nomination from the floor at the meeting.
The terms of all Directors shall begin immediately following the AGM and shall continue for two (2) years. Upon
completion of a two (2) year term a Director, other than the person holding the office of Treasurer, must rotate off the
Board for not less than one (1) year. Notwithstanding the above, a Director, when elected to be an Officer of the
Association, shall remain on the Board for the full term of that office. The Treasurer shall be eligible for re-election on
completion of a two (2) year term if so determined by the Board. The immediate Past President shall serve as an exofficio
member of the Board for one (1) year following the election of a new President.
Those GNHA members attending the AGM or any special membership meeting shall constitute a quorum which shall
have full authority to proceed with the transaction of the business of the club.
These By-Laws may be amended at the AGM or at any special meeting by a majority of those present provided that the
membership receives no less than fifteen (15) and no more than thirty (30) days notice of said meeting, together with a
notification of the subject matter and the specific wording of the proposed amendment.
Approved by the Board: ---------- November 18, 2010
Approved by the Membership:--- March 10, 2011
Effective date:----------------------- March 10, 2011